Some days, you just don’t know where you are going. And that is OK! And some days, you just don’t know who you are. And that is OK , too! It is kind of like that quote, “Life is like a carousel. Sometimes you’re up, sometimes you’re down, sometimes you go round and round. Just remember to enjoy the ride.”
For whatever reason, I always liked that quote (not sure who the original creator was), probably because it is cheesy. What can I say? I love the cheese. Lately however, I feel like I have just been going round and round and round. I thought I had it all figured out, only to have my crazy heart tell me that I should go in a different direction. Wait… did I say heart? hmm. Maybe it is the universe telling me. Or the JuJu Gods. The Colors of the Wind maybe? Whatever it is, I suddenly wasn’t happy with the said direction I had previously “chosen” for my life and to be quite honest, I haven’t totally figured out what direction is supposed to replace it. Hence… I go round and round and round.
And let me tell you, going round and round is not as easy as it has seemed. Maybe it is due to my high anxiety, but I find it extremely frustrating and stressful that I can’t seem to keep up with my life, like a storm chaser after a tornado. Or maybe I am the tornado and I am just spinning out of control? Anyhow, it doesn’t matter WHAT the reason is so much as that what matters is that it is important to find a way to keep calm so you can keep a firm grasp on that plastic pony while you go round’n’round. Here are a few things I have found helpful, maybe this list can help a few of you (my fellow “round’n’rounders” trying to figure out who you are and what you’re supposed to be doing) too.
- Find What you Love. When in doubt about who you want to be or what you are supposed to do, turn to your passions. I am cheesy and corny, so I already know how this sounds, but I am truly a firm believer in individuals being given their passions and talents for a reason. It is shameful not to engage in it. And more importantly, if you aren’t passionate about what you are doing you will never be as happy as you could be.
- If All Else Fails, Try EVERYTHING. If you don’t know what you love, find it. Believe it or not, there is a LOT of things to do out there in the world. That means there is a ton of potential for finding what you love and what you are good at. You will never know that you have the potential to be the world’s best Pooktre Artist if you never try it out. (BTW Pooktre Art is pretty dang cool!)
- Find an Outlet. Going round in circles on the carousel sometimes just makes you dizzy. Find something to distract you from the circles and helps you focus on just YOU. Find an outlet. For me, I like writing this blog. The writing isn’t my best, I don’t spell check, I just write for my self therapy. My husband does photography. Some people like to knit or play an instrument. Occasionally I draw for fun. This outlet needs to be something that draws attention to YOU. To something that makes YOU feel better.
- De-Tox. All of that pent of stress and anxiety? TOXIC. Find a way to relieve that stress from your shoulders and it will be much easier for you to focus. Studies show that people who meditate just for a few minutes every morning tend to be way more productive. (No, I am not looking up stats for this post- I have enough homework I am procrastinating, thank you! For more info on meditation and health benefits check out this WebMD article.) I like to escape into books. Or take a bubble bath. Many people love yoga (these people are usually skinny and can twist themselves into a pretzel- both tricks I have yet to master, but someday I’m sure I will!) Or maybe you just need to take an entire weekend and binge-watch an entire series of a television show on Netflix. If you have money, go get a pedicure or a massage. Just do something to relax and rid yourself of unnecessary stress.
- Don’t Waste Your Time Waiting for the Right Thing to Come Along. You will never get married if you wait around for the right guy to show up ringing your doorbell. You will never be a concert pianist without practicing. You will never go on that vacation if you don’t try to come up with a way to get money for it. All advice you have probably heard before, but it is true. Even if you don’t know where you are going or what you want to do. Don’t let yourself stop progressing just because you don’t know where your potential lies. Keep trying new things, focusing on yourself, and finding your own potential. Make life happen, don’t let it happen to you.
Sometimes you might just be going in circle in life, but sometimes you need to go in circles to help discover yourself. It is the time in life to discover where you want to go and who you have the potential to be. It is inevitable that some days, you are going to feel like the Lily Tomlin quote that says, “I always wanted to be somebody… but now I realize I should have been more specific!” You will wish that you had been more specific when asking to be a “somebody!” Unfortunately that is just life. Or maybe it is fortunate. When you start going in circles and feel the monotonous round and round motion of that carousel horse, you know it is time to start focusing on yourself to find what you are really supposed to be doing. With that, I will just say this once more! Don’t let life just happen to you, you should make life happen!